When inclement weather or emergency situations pose a safety and security risk to our students and staff, classes may be cancelled. In the event school is closed, an announcement will be made as soon as the decision is reached by the Administration. The decision to close school is not made lightly, but the safety of our students will always be the top priority when making the decision.
Information about school closings will be disseminated to the community through three outlets:
- ONLINE: The announcement will be posted on the district website, as well as Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- TELEVISION: KTVI (Fox 2), KMOV (CBS 4), KSDK (NBC 5), and KDNL (ABC 30) will all broadcast the Fox C-6 name if school has been closed. They will also post this information to their own websites.
- SCHOOLREACH: The district will use its parent notification system (SchoolReach) to send a text and or phone call to parents in our database.
It is extremely important to make sure your information is kept up-to-date with your child’s school so that the district can reach you in the event of a school closing or other emergency.
Here are some other important things to consider:
- We will always give at least one hour notification before school is dismissed early.
- In the event of inclement weather, please have your child consider riding the bus. Student drivers can leave their cars at school if they feel uncomfortable driving in hazardous conditions.
- During an early dismissal, the standard procedure is to dismiss high schools and SMS and FMS first, allowing student drivers to leave before school buses depart. Then, the early starting elementary schools (Rockport, Simpson, Sherwood, Seckman) as well as RMS and AMS are dismissed. The late starting elementary schools will be the final dismissals. Please be aware that travel time will vary due to road conditions.
- Please do not telephone your child’s school. All necessary information will be provided via SchoolReach and the district websites as well as Facebook and Twitter. Telephone lines may be needed for emergency communication and we appreciate your help in keeping them clear.
- Please resist the urge to call your child’s cell phone. Cell towers have a fixed capacity and cell phone lines may also be needed for emergency communication.
- Depending on traffic conditions, consider that you may need to know alternate routes between your home and school during these situations.
- Please remind your children the importance of following staff instructions during inclement weather or an emergency situation. Everything is in place to ensure the safety of our students.
Finally, every family should develop a plan for picking up their children from school during inclement weather or other emergency situations. It is also imperative that you keep an updated list of authorized adults who can pick your child up from school. A student will not be allowed to leave school with anyone not identified as a guardian and/or emergency contact.
For more information on inclement weather procedures, please click here. Or visit the Safety and Security portion of the district website for resources on dealing with emergency situations.
Thank you for your support and assistance in keeping our students safe, happy, and healthy.